I´m in Granada right now. A beautiful old colonial town on the edge of Lake Nicaragua. One of the more developed tourist hotspots. Luckily most of the tourism in concentrated in a few blocks to I can still duck into the market and be the only gringa around.
Nicaragua is hot and humid and vibrant. It is so different than Bolivia while still reminding me of it. For one, there are NO public phones here (i found this out the hard way). In Bolivia there is at least one tienda with a few public phones on every block, but here there are NONE. Luckily one of the people whom I asked not only gave me an ^are you stupid?^ stare but let me use there phone.
Its hard to eat when it´s hot and humid. Plato tipico is just not so apealing when the surounding air is as hot as the frijoles. But i have made one great food discovery pawpusas. masa de corn tortillas filled with beans and cheese (you can get them with meat, too). There´s an ensalanda which is kinda like pickled coalslaw that you can pile on top. You can get two plus an ice cold fanta for less than $2. perfect. Juicy mandarinas can also be purchased in the local market: six for fifty cents.
Today I helped Helen get some last minute details worked out for the girls arival and then had the afternoon to myself. I made the mistake of walking around in the hotest part of the day and am now very ready for a siesta.
Love to everyone!! (enjoy the snow, i can´t even begin to imagine snow right now)
p.s. my friend Emma is goign to come down for a week after the girls leave!!!!!

since when are you in nicaragua?
ReplyDelete