Sunday, March 7, 2010

Tamarind

Whenever I travel i seem to become obsessed with a strange and foreign fruit. Bolivia's fruit was paquai, Nicaragua's fruit is tamarid. Ok, not quite as foreign as Paquai, i'd definitely heard of it before, but never eaten it fresh. Anyhow, tamarind is not a particularly inviting fruit. A small barky pod encases a dark orange leathery pulp. You knaw at the pulp and produce two small brown glossy seeds (perfect for making a neclace). The pulp is tangy and sweet and chewy and delicous. I end every breakfast with a heaping pile of husks on my plate.
Today is our last night at our tranquilo Hacienda Merida. We've taught our last classes, seen our last sunset, and said our final goodbyes. And we had tamarid juice with our very last dinner. Needless to say I was thrilled!!

3 comments:

  1. Fruit!! i wish you could bring some strange fruit back with you! We'll just have to go to whole foods when you get back and get some awesome fruit cups!! (and dope pastries) Love!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love tamarinds, too. In Mexico there is a tamarind soda--do they have that there?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Emily, you have a way of describing things that makes my mind fall into the gutter. You should probably work on that. . . or maybe I should. lol

    ReplyDelete